Buying second hand furniture
Many charity shops sell second hand furniture.
There are stores that specialize in used hotel or office furniture.
For example ArnoldsOfficeFurniture.com specialises in the sale of second hand refurbished office furniture such as filing cabinets, desks, chairs and conference room furniture. They will deliver throughout New Jersey. Go to their website to view their inventory.
LCS Estate Liquidation operates a thrift store in Hamilton, NJ (2048 S. Broad St, Hamilton, NJ 08610) that sells second hand furniture, jewelry, artwork, lighting and other items and can be a great place to pick up some really unique items for your home.
Recycling Your Unwanted Furniture
There are several alternatives to simply throwing something into the trash that you can consider for both small and large items of furniture or household appliances. Although you may not wish to use the item again there may be other people in your community who would be happy to take the item from you. They may even be willing to pay you for it.
- How about holding a yard sale? Yard sales are an american institution after all.
- If the item has little value or you simply wish to get rid of it quickly you can give it away using the freecycle website.
Donate your Unwanted Furniture or Household Appliances to Charity
Many charity organizations will be only too pleased to take your old furniture from you, either to sell the item to fund their good causes or redistribute the item to poor families in the community. Many of the charity organizations will even collect bulky items of furniture from your home.
Donations to registered charities are tax deductable. Ask for a receipt if you wish to claim your tax deduction when you file your annual tax return.
Charity organizations will only accept furniture and household appliances that are clean and in good, usable and fully functioning condition.
- Destiny Community Development Corporation in Brick, New Jersey accept donations of second hand furniture for resale in their thrift store. You can drop off your furniture at the store (242 Brick Blvd, Brick, NJ, 08723), Monday to Saturday between 9AM and 5 PM. Local residents near to Brick may also request their items to be picked up by calling 732-451-0779 (available to residents of Brick, Manchester, Toms River, Lakewood, Seaside, Lakehursty, Ortley Beach Lavalet, Howell and Jackson). For more information consult the Destiny Community Development Corporation website.
- Habitat for Humanity will accept furniture, and household appliances (as well as building materials) and have drop off locations throughout New Jersey. Click here for a list of New Jersey Habitat for Humanity stores. We recommend you call the store manager to confirm that they will accept an item you wish to donate, especially if it is a bulky furniture item.
- Home Front NJ will accept donations of a wide range of furniture and consumer electronic equipment. They have a pick-up service that operates in Mercer County only.
- Interfaith Furnishings, at 5 Emery Avenue, Randolph NJ, accepts furniture donations either dropped off at their warehouse or collected from your home. They ask that you arrange an appointment for both home collections or dropping off the furniture at their location. For contact details and a list of the items they will accept, click here.
- Rescue Mission of Trenton collect furniture, household appliances, clothing and bric-a-brac for sale in their thrift store. Information on how to arrange a free pickup from your home, or to find your nearest drop off location, can be found on the Rescue Mission of Trenton donation webpage.
- Rise Greater Goods Thrift Store in Hightstown, New Jersey, accepts donations of household appliances and furniture for sale in their store. For a description of the items they do and do not accept, click here.
- The Salvation Army will also arrange to collect your unwanted furniture and household appliances. Call 1-800-728-7825 to schedule a pick-up. For a complete listing of the items the salvation army will accept, click here. Smaller items can be dropped off at your nearest Salvation Army store. Use the zip code search on the Salvation Army website to find your nearest drop off location.
- Treasures Thrift Store, 196 Lincoln Ave, Hewitt, NJ 07421. Tel: 973-728-2506. You can drop off clothing, shoes, furniture, appliances and houseware items at the store. For more details see their donations webpage.
Residential Furniture and Bulky Goods Collections
Your local town will collect Furniture and Bulky Items from outside of your property on specific days of the year. There may be a charge for this service depending on where you live. Check your local town recycling website to find out when the next collection is scheduled to be and what items are accepted for collection.
You can also take furniture and bulky items such as white goods appliances, electronic equipment and building materials to your local county recycling center. Consult your local county recycling website to find out what goods are accepted and what dates they can be taken on. Proof of residency in the area may be required.
Refridgerator Recycling (earn $50 for recycling)
The refridgerator in your home is the appliance that consumes the most electricity. Replacing an old refridgerator with a new energy star model can save you up to $150 per year on your electricity bill.
New Jersey Clean Energy program is offering residents $50 when they recycle their old refridgerator, if you use their recycling scheme. They will collect the refridgerator from your home so it really could not be simpler.
For more information on how to arrange pick up of your old refridgerator, click here.
Scrap Metal Recycling
Scrap metal yards in New Jersey will accept metal appliances such as ovens, dish washers, washing machines, refridgerators, and freezers for recycling. You can easily find scrap metal yards near you through the yellow pages. Many scrap metal recycling facilities are also listed on the Earth911 website, where you can search for businesses that accept particular types of metal waste materials in your local area, from both commercial and residential customers. Scrap metal yards will often pay you for the metal that you drop off at their facility.
Commercial businesses that collect metal appliances and other scrap metal waste, directly from your home or business are also available and often these collection services are FREE for you to use.
FREE metal TAKE will collect scrap metal items and old household appliances from you and arrange for these items to be recycled at local recycling facilities. You can arrange for the metal items to be collected at a time and date convenient to you.
The items that are accepted, as well as those that will not be accepted, are described on the FREEmetalTAKE website.
FREE collection of metal items from outside your property is available except in the following circumstances.
- A $20 freon removal fee may be applied for the removal of A/C units, refridgerators or freezers.
- Small scrap metal pick-ups outside of a 20 mile radius of Piscataway may be charged a mileage fee.
- A small fee will be applied if large items need to be removed from the building, instead of being placed outside, ready for collection.
Please refer to the terms and conditions outlined on the FREEmetalTAKE website for more information.
General Home Clearance Recycling Specialists
There are businesses in NJ that specialize in collecting a wide range of unwanted household items including appliances, carpet, mattresses, and electronic goods so if you are renovating a room or your whole hoouse these businesses will help you to renovate in an eco friendly way.
The following businesses aim to reuse or recycle as much as possible and ensure that toxic materials are recycled instead of going into the landfill. These businesses charge for pick up at competitive rates relative to other home/office clearance companies.
1-800-Got-Junk will collect residential or business unwanted items (appliances, furniture, garden waste, trash etc) that you wish to get rid of. They will endevour to recycle or donate to charity as much of your waste items as they can. For information on the items that they recycle, consult their "Junk we recycle" webpage.
There is a fee for this service and the cost will depend on the items you wish to be removed. For more information refer to the 1-800-GOT-Junk website or call 1-(800)-468-5865.
College Hunks hauling junk provide a donation pick-up service so you can donate unwanted furniture, brik-a-brak and other household items to a charity and have the items collected from your home for a fee. They can offer a wider range of collection times to fit your schedule, compared with arranging collection from the charity directly.
For more information on scheduling a pick-up of charitable donations, click here.
College Hunks Hauling Junk also provide residential and commercial junk removal services from single item removal to much larger clearance projects. They arrange recycling for all electronics, appliances, metal, and paper.
For a list of their accepted items consult their "What we take webpage"
Junkin Irishman is a locally owned and operated junk removal business serving the north New Jersey region. They will quote for their services for free and endevour to recycle or donate to charity wherever possible.
Junk in the Trunk NJ, LLC is a family owned, full service junk removal company serving all of NJ. If its just one large item you cannot dispose of yourself, or an entire household that needs to get cleaned out, Junk in the Trunk NJ can help you dispose of and recycle almost anything you need to get rid of.
There is a charge for all pickups. Junk in the Trunk is a commercial business and not a 501(c)3 organization, and therefore cannot collect junk for free.
Junk in the Trunk NJ strives to achieve zero waste to landfill by sorting and recycling whenever possible. Items are either recycled or donated for reuse. By recycling they ensure that lead, mercury, and other toxic materials are kept out of the landfill.
Consult their services webpage to see what items they will accept. Call Junk in the Trunk NJ at (908)-240-2077 for more information or to arrange a pick-up.
LCS Estate Liquidation is a New Jersey business, based in Hamilton, that provides home or business clearance services.
They charge to remove junk but will pay for items they can resell. They often work with customers who have a relative who passed away & they need to empty the contents of a property or with landlords who have a property where a tenant left contents behind. They also purchase as little as one or two items (e.g. you have a new sofa & the old one is still good & can be recycled). The items they buy, are put out for sale in their small thrift shop in Hamilton, Estate Sale Shoppe (2048 S. Broad St, Hamilton, NJ 08610).
For more details consult the LCS Estate Liquidation website.
Remove My Junk is a professional junk removal company that specializes in furniture removal, debris removal, hoarding cleanup, estate clearance, and residential and commercial rubbish removal in the NJ and NYC area. They clean up your home or business in quick time, whether you need furniture removal and pickup, clutter removal, hoarding cleanouts, estate clearance, office furniture cleanouts, or general hauling and pick up of debris.