The curbside recycling collection schemes differ from one town to the next and are often amended each year to include or exclude certain items. It is therefore important to check your local community website for details of what can be placed in the curbside recycling box and how that item should be prepared for collection.
For your local community recycling website, click here.
County Recycling Websites
Further recycling information can be found at your county recycling website. These sites provide information about recycling centers in your local area that collect additional recyclable materials such as rechargeable batteries, compact fluorescent light bulbs, car tires, motor oil, paint and other items that contain hazardous materials.
NJ County Recycling Websites
County Hazardous Waste Collection Websites
Additional Recycling Information Sources
- Earth911. The best recycling website in the US, without any doubt. The earth911 website provides a comprehensive guide for recycling in the US. They have a zip code search feature that allows you to find municipal recycling centers and recycling businesses in your local area, that accept recyclable items from both residential or commercial sources.
- iRecycle app. The Earth911 website has been adapted into a free app for the iPhone or Android phones allowing you to find the nearest recycling center wherever you are. The free iRecycle app can be downloaded from the iPhone app store, click here
- Assoication of New Jersey Recyclers. The anjr website is a useful resource for the New Jersey business community, schools and other groups that have materials that they wish to recycle or for people that wish to purchase goods made from recycled materials. In particular their "buy recycled" guide provides an easy way to search for products that can be reused or are made from recycled materials.
- ecycler.com matches together people that have recyclables they wish to dispose of, with individuals or businesses that are willing to collect those materials from the curbside. You have the option of giving the materials away for free or getting paid for the recyclable materials.
- Terracycle is a recycling company with a difference. They specialize in recycling the materials that are not accepted by the normal recyclable collections (chip packets, candy wrappers, toothpaste tubes, juice boxes) and turn these items into fantastic new products. Terracycle also pays the shipping costs in advance as well as donating money to charity or your school, for every item you recycle. Visit their website to find out how you can set up a collection brigade in your school or local community group.